Thursday, September 17, 2009

Such a Long Journey: Review

by Rohinton Mistry

I have to admit, I have a total thing for writer's in the South Asian diaspora. Salman Rushdie being number one, closely followed by Yann Martel, Michael Ondaatje, and Rohinton Mistry. The biggest problem I have with Mistry is his honesty. Normally honesty is a good thing in a novelist, but he's so honest it hurts.

With A Fine Balance I wished I had stopped reading two chapters from the end, but with Such a Long Journey the beauty carried all the way through. Through the people. Through the black wall. Through the Parsi religion. Through Gustad's family. Through Bombay's atmosphere. And through the eternal ups and downs and ins and outs of humanity.

I guess I can forgive that kind of honesty. Honesty that comes wrapped in love and hope.

11/05

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...