Friday, April 23, 2010

Couldn't have put it better myself.

"Caught up in the day-to-day drama" of my own little life, I received Hugh MacLeod's daily cartoon newsletter today. Impeccable timing once again, and fulfilling on the promise of his newsletter, the sign up form for which includes "Remember Who You Are." There's something very reassuring about a stranger touching your heart. And so I share with you Hugh's art & words:

Breathe

These are the lines of the final verse of one of my favorite hymns, "Dear Lord And Father Of Mankind". I first learned it when I was about ten.

Of course, back then I had no idea what the words meant. Not really. Then with time the meaning got more and more resonant..

We get so caught up in the day-to-day drama of our own lives, even though we know in our hearts how little of it really matters in the long run. But we like to make a big production of it, regardless. We're human, so OF COURSE we do.

Though wouldn't it be great if, one day, we taught ourselves to act differently? That's what this verse is about....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...