Monday, June 28, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love: Review

It's been a while since I posted a book review. I've been sort of busy doing other things and not taking time for my #1 favourite activity. And to be honest, Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia is not a book you read. It's a book to be Savoured. Word by word and sentence by sentence. Like hand-turned Italian gelato. Like a morning meditation. Like the gathering dew on a Bali rice field.

View on Amazon
It took me 2 months to read Eat, Pray, Love on purpose, because I knew from the beginning that there was a wealth of life for me to find in it. A life of pleasure, and prayer, and passion. And a life of love, and balance, and growth. I rationed it. Alternated it with my own journey, with books of learning. With life.


I don't know if I've ever had so many favourite passages in a book. Or felt so much like an author was speaking not to but for me. I want to re-read it instantly. And towards the end I let go - I read late. I read early. I stayed in my pj's on Saturday and read some more.

It may not be that I can even recreate for you the beauty and humour and soul of Eat, Pray, Love. So I will just say please read this. Right now.

A couple quotes, since I have no words of my own
  • As David once put it, 'You have the opposite of poker face. You have like ... miniature golf face.' [see, sounds like no one more than me, right?
  • The Bhagavad Ghita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life. Imperfect and clumsy as it may look, it is resembling me now, thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...