Friday, August 13, 2010

TI♥T: My Town

Tonight I got to learn about my town. Or, more specifically, about the food and drink trends in my town. I attended my first of what I imagine will be many Pecha Kucha nights - a high-energy night of presentations about people's passions, in this case themed around food. At least mostly that's what it was about - I'm not sure how a couple of the presentations related.

Pecha Kucha is exactly the kind of collaborative, casual, fluid night that makes Victoria such a great town to live in.

What was really neat for me was having our Executive Chef from work there and hearing about what he learned, getting his feedback on some of the stuff he liked or didn't like about the night, and just generally seeing him enjoy a night that's all about what he's really passionate about.

And that I could be his access to a night like that makes me smile.

That I could also go and learn about some of the amazing movements happening right here in my quaint little town, and realise that we are in some ways on the cutting edge of the slow food or local or raw or cocktail movements.

The next Pecha Kucha is in November, and I look forward to being there - whether as a presenter or a supporter remains to be seen. :)

And also, there were free cocktails at the end of the night. That's actually not that great an idea, though they were amazing. :) Clearly the bartender from Clive's, who presented on Victoria's burgeoning cocktail culture, was out to create converts of us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...