Monday, August 30, 2010

With Gratitude for the Generosity of Being Seen

When it seems like nobody knows you, it's easy to feel like a cipher in the world. Invisible - despite size (and sometimes because of it). Despite bright clothing and a constant quest for the footlights. Despite a sparkling wit, or attempts to same.

But if just one person is able to look at you. And to hear what you haven't said. Or to see what you thought was hidden. If an off-hand comment reveals a life-time of truth stretching out in both directions. Then, well, then the you-shaped void walking around in the world fills suddenly with soil and sunshine and becomes a garden brimming with light and life.

I have someone in my life (several someone's, in fact - I am truly blessed) who has consistently seen me for some time. Reliably. Frustratingly so. Often when I don't see myself. I hope he knows what a gift that is. And that I too see him.

This is for him.




There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all
But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you

And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...