Sunday, August 21, 2011

jumping in with both feet

Original Thought by Michael Brajkovich (Trust 30 Prompt 22)

“The arts and inventions of each period are only its costume, and do not invigorate men.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Think of the last time that you thought, said, or did something that was original. What inspired or invigorated this?
Not me - but clearly jumping right in 
Yesterday I took the plunge - I jumped off a cliff in to a deep cool pool of river water. I screamed my way through the admittedly short flight, kept my eyes wide open as the green water churned over my head, and burst back through the surface with a  smile and a gulp. 

Wow. Life is so invigorating when you let go. No, I am not the first person to jump off a cliff into a pool of water. But it was the first time for me. It hasn't even really occurred to me to want to do it before - and then, out of nowhere, the urge was there. And not just the urge, but the promise. I told STG and his son on the drive out - I'm going to jump. We hiked and waded and splashed and picnicked and all the time in the back of my head was this mixture of excitement & dread - I'm going to jump today. They may have been skeptical - they've seen what it took for me to go off the low diving board recently. I'm not afraid of heights - I just don't trust myself to know what I'll do when I hit the water.  

I didn't know how high the cliffs would be. Or if there would be enough water at this time of year. I didn't know how I'd do climbing up the rocks in just my swimsuit - how exposed I would feel. And I didn't know that I'd burst through the surface with 'please sir can I have some more' on my lips. 

It's a great lesson - going for it. You can't sorta kinda cliff jump. You can't ease into it - you check the risks, choose your spot and then push off firmly with both feet. You don't need to be stupid about it, but you do need to give'er. 

Two weekends in a row I've had great new adventures that push my body and free my spirit. And I can't wait, this week, to bring that energy to my writing. 

YEEHAW!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...