Tuesday, September 6, 2011

where do they keep the batteries?

Energy by Julia E (Trust 30 Prompt 30)

“The world belongs to the energetic.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • It’s easy to blame our failure to meet our goals or to live our dream lives on a lack of energy, and we don’t always stop to think about the quality of energy in our lives. Yet we can choose to create and manage our own energy flow.
  • Think of an instance when you’ve been so involved in an activity that you’ve lost track of time, and then identity the passions and energies you were feeding. Who was there with you? What were you doing? What will you do to make time for moments like that one more often?
It's my last Trust 30 post. Back to making things up and hoping for inspiration throughout the day. To be honest, there've been more than a few Trust 30 prompts that I kind of squished/selected/modified to say what I already wanted to say, but it's my blog and I can write what I want to, right?

This is a great take-away post though. One of the things that I am often lacking, and tend to blame on external forces, is energy. Energy to get up earlier in the morning. To practice yoga again. To walk more often to work. Energy to cook a good meal. 

I think it's because I don't eat well enough. Don't exercise enough. Because I spent too much time with other people. Or not enough. Because my job is stressful. Or boring. Or too much or too little. There's always something out there to blame on the lack of energy. 

A few years ago I took a seminar on fitness, and one of the key tenets was that you don't get energy by storing it up or waiting for it - you get it by going out and doing something. And that's certainly proven true for me - the more I do something, the more I want to do it. And the more energized I am by doing it. Until I'm not. I get tired of it ... not unlike Don Draper, I mostly like the beginnings of things. I bore easily, at least of activities. Usually, if it's a sport in particular, my interest lasts just long enough to buy the equipment. 

Anyhow, I know that at any given moment I have the ability to increase my energy level. Yes, taking better care of my body will help, but there's also a mental component that I can access at anytime. 

The real question, for me, is "why don't I?"

2 comments:

  1. I have come to the point in my life Shannon that I have realized playing the blame game is "no-wheres ville"! I have also wiped "should" out of my vocabulary. When I lean towards these things I "stop", breathe, and find a different way to say it, like...I should go for a hike today but,Bear won't go with me so...I just should on myself and blamed a perfectly innocent Bear! Reword: I could go for a hike today and maybe Bear will come along! It has taken the sting out of it and makes no one to blame, including myself! We create our own reality and I am finally getting that! ♥bobbi♪

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...