Thursday, March 1, 2012

mockingjay: review

Click to view on Amazon
Phew! It's over. In fact, it's been a few days since I finished reading the third and final book in The Hunger Games trilogy - Mockingjay. Perhaps if I'd remembered to blog about it immediately I'd have more access to the complete degree of mind-blowing-ness that is this book. 

Character development and depth is back. Mystery and surprise are back. Perfectly crafted sentences plunked down in the midst of action and mayhem are back. 

I am thrilled I read this trilogy. It is not something I would normally have read, and I thoroughly enjoyed Collins' skill at spinning and populating a world. In books 1 and 3 the characters are rich, engaging, growing, human. The plot is taut, and the setting a balance of recognizable and creative. 

Part of me wishes there could be a book 4, but the borderline trite ending basically precludes that, and it may be for the best. I am, however, very much looking forward to the film adaptations. I have a theory that young adult novels lend themselves more readily to film because they tend to be somewhat simpler than adult novels. We'll see in a month if that holds true for The Hunger Games trilogy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...