Thursday, April 19, 2012

30 days

I'm surrounded by people on 30 day challenges, mostly of the exercise & diet variety. There seems to be some common belief that 30 days is enough to change a habit, and I'm sure it is if that habit wants changing and is replaced with something sustainable. 

I've done 30 day challenges before. No sugar. Writing daily. Moving my body daily. For some reason none of them stuck, but that's not to say that they never will. So, I'm here partly looking for suggestions. And maybe hoping for a team. I'm a big believer in Leo Babuata's 'Single-Changing Method' in theory, but find it hard to pick that one thing. 

I have plenty of ideas - go to bed on time. Spend no more than 30 minutes/day on personal social media. Stop eating refine sugar. Move my body. Sing. Play the piano. Read quietly. Take a photograph. Write. Stop drinking coffee. Get up on time. Create daily.  Finish. Laugh - but when I look at committing to just one for 30 days, it appears to be a VERY bad idea. 

And yet, when I read Leo's principles ... how could they POSSIBLY be a bad idea? 
  1. Start very small.
  2. Do only one change at a time.
  3. Be present and enjoy the activity (don’t focus on results).
  4. Be grateful for every step you take.
This just made me giggle
I'm open to suggestions. And company. I know how many of you are struggling with some of the same things I'm struggling with. We could do this together. And that's where you come in. Leave me a blog comment, or tweet me a tweet, or comment on Facebook about something that YOU are willing to take on for 30 days, or something that you think would make a difference for me for 30 days.

What if we picked something we 'shouldn't' - like drinking every day, or eating something delicious and decadent every day? What if we spent 30 days breaking our own rules? 

How different might our lives look with just one small change of 30 days? What might we learn about ourselves? What might we realise we care about - or no longer care about? 

By tomorrow I will have picked one, and away we'll go! And I think I might just surprise myself. 

1 comment:

  1. I did 30 days of drinking nothing but water, black coffee, and black tea during daytime (and a max of 1 beer per week in the evenings). It caused me to have tremendous craving for sweet drinks, but I'm now having mostly water (and a black coffee) during the day. I'm doing better than I was before the challenge. My current challenge is to walk to work every day that I don't have to dress up (Fancy Fridays). It's going well and I'm feeling good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...