Friday, January 11, 2013

childhood

When I was 12 (I might have been 14) and started getting migraines, the kooky ‘best you can get in the North’ doctor my Mom took me to diagnosed me with trying too hard (good grades, community service, etc) and having lost the spirit of whimsy and joy that a child should have. He prescribed something akin to ‘lighten up.’ 

While I still think the man was a quack, I can kind of see his point. There are certain activities and items that, when I see or play with them now, invoke instant childhood: the colourful explosion of a DoodleArt poster, a rousing game of Scrabble, making snow angels in powder dry snow.

Maybe the kooky doctor was right. Maybe I do need a prescription for the kind of imagination that turn a hike into a quest and a blanket and cushions into a fort. Here’s to more play this year, and the freedom to feel the wind in my face. 

4 comments:

  1. As a fellow migraine sufferer, that was not the most helpful diagnosis for the headaches, but perhaps a valuable life lesson to learn. Thanks for sharing, Shan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. I do so prefer my current doctor who prescribes me both fun and Relpax :)

      Delete
  2. My doctor told me to "relax more", when I went to see him for migraines. I wanted to punch him in the face. But I do agree with your doc's prescription: More fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More fun ... and better living through chemistry. ;-) Sometimes a good dose of crazy is what is needed.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...