Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Becoming: a belated review

As I sit here this morning struggling my way through the current prompt in my copy of Becoming: A Guided Journal for Discovering Your Voice it occurs to me that I never reviewed the book that prompted this journal, Michelle Obama's autobiography Becoming

I have a romanticized idea of the Obamas that Becoming somewhat reinforced but also somewhat reduced. More than anything, Michelle Obama's writing reveals the lived lives of real people - people who fight, people who fear, and people who get angry but know better than to show it, most of the time. 

What stayed with me from Michelle Obama's perspective is her sense of self. From an early age, her parents instilled in Michelle a belief that she could have and be anything she wanted, but not without effort. She is not a romanticist - I believe that may fall more to her husband - Michelle is a woman who worked hard to maximise the opportunities presented to her, who is learned and accomplished in her own ways, and who still struggles with the injustice and unfairness of the world. I will admit I admired and appreciated the brief glimpses of eye-roll Michelle that she reveals in the book, imperfection is endearing, relatable, and human.

Becoming is personal without being self-obsessed, moving without being manipulative, and inspiring without drama. Michelle Obama showed me a new way to write that is simple, strong and honest.

My tl:dr review:

  • Loved it
  • Recommend it
  • Would read more from this author

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...