Monday, May 25, 2020

Big Magic: a review

Another week, another book review. I'll say one thing for Covid-19 - it's been great for clearing my 'to read' stack. 

The entire premise of Big Magic, the eighth book by Elizabeth Gilbert (famed author of Eat, Pray, Love), is this: creating is scary. Do it anyway. 

Creating is a greatly varied and inherently human activity that we all do every day in some way - even if it's picking out an outfit. While Gilbert acknowledges that early on, she quickly focuses on writing, since that is her milieu, and on consciously and conscientiously choosing to create "to bring forth the treasures inside you." With occasional comments of "or painting, or dancing, or decorating bicycles," most of the examples Gilbert gives are of writers and writing and the writing life. The skills transfer. 

In one of my favourite examples, Gilbert describes being consumed by an idea, researching it vigorously, and then life getting in the way of her expressing that idea in a book. Having sat neglected several years, that idea made itself known to Ann Patchett (one of my all-time favourite novelists and a dear friend of Gilbert's), who had space in her life at the time to write the book - to get the inspiration out. Of course, to understand this example, you have to accept (and I do) Gilbert's vision of inspiration or ideas as free-spirited motes seeking a human partner to be made manifest in the world. Finding Gilbert unavailable to partner with at that time, the idea presented itself to Patchett. The way Gilbert tells the story is almost magical (hey, the book is called Big Magic after all), though she is very clear that magic and inspiration are nothing if you don't put in the time and effort. 

Another of  Gilbert's premises that really speaks to me is valuing curiosity over passion. I have often felt like there is something lacking in me because I don't have one big central driving passion. I have posted about it here several times, most explicitly when faced with the incredible (to me) passion of the man I loved. I enjoy writing, sure, but I also do it because it's easy for me. I equally enjoy singing, and being by the ocean, and chatting with my grandson (who pretty much ignores me right now, but give him time 💓). My point is, if there is anything I'm actually passionate about, it's curiosity. Passion is dark and stormy. Curiosity is a firefly. Passion is a mystery to me - uncatchable and sometimes destructive; curiosity is a life-long friend. Passion is sometimes threatening. Curiosity bring answers, and answers bring peace. When I can't find passion, I always have access to curiosity, which is currently lighting my path alongside a very captivating mote of inspiration. 

I've already posted last week that Gilbert recommends keeping your day job (or in my case getting a day job) and practising creativity daily. The first keeps creativity from crumbling under the weight of the electricity bill, the second makes a practitioner into a master. I may never write a best-seller and go on a nation-wide book promotion tour. Heck, I may not ever be paid to write again. But that's no reason not to write. Every day. Because it is a privilege to create, and playing with words makes me me. 

Reading Big Magic right now is timely for me. I like Gilbert's writing style - it's breezy and delightful. Her mojo might not be everyone's taste - there are certain people I can almost see rolling their eyes and muttering "get real." How very sad for them.

Some favourite motes of inspiration from the book:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...