Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's not Hot - I'm Hot

So, as you may or may not have noticed, I've been a bit in and out of focus on the whole 'lose weight, eat right, take care of your body and it will take care of you' thing. Even as I write this I am digesting a healthy healthy breakfast & lunch, yet chowing down on a giant rice krispie square. Like I said, consistency is definitely lacking.

Part of my 'problem' is that I know I can lose weight - I've been proving that since I was about 13. I've actually found that it's quite easy for me to lose weight through diet. I also know that I am not the least bit interested in/committed to any sort of health plan that occurs to me like denying myself what I like - a little rum & coke, some sugar mixed with fat, red meat, DQ treats with my sons, Sunday brunch, etc. If I have to cut out any of that, it's a no go.

What I also know, but sometimes forget (and this might be more surprising to you), is that I actually REALLY REALLY love being active. Oh sure, you might say "if you love it so much why don't you do it more," but the truth is there is hardly a sport or sport-like activity that I don't enjoy. Team or individual. Indoor or out. On a mountain top or in the water. I quite enjoy all of that. Walking, hiking, swimming, biking, golf, softball, kayak/dragonboat/outrigger, climbing (who knew!), etc. You name it I like it. Except volleyball, but whatever.

I considered that maybe one of the things that's missing is that doing stuff I enjoy and/or doing stuff that is good for me gets a pretty dismal 'worth the time' ranking. Which would be believable except that I almost always have time for TV (I'm multi-tasking, honestly) or for being online. Right. That's not it.

But, maybe it doesn't really matter WHAT's missing. Maybe Nike was right and I should 'just do it.' I am willing to try that on. And, the timing must be just right since one of the first emails I received this morning was for a 6 week fitness bootcamp, and it actually piqued my interest. Normally my response would be 'are you joking?', but it piqued my interest. I thought about it. I thought about phoning and asking for more information. But it wasn't quite what I'm looking for.

What I've really been thinking a lot about, and am very interested in, is returning to Bikram Yoga classes. I've been to several classes in the past, and - aside from the nasty ass puddles of sweat - really enjoyed the whole 90 minutes. I left feeling more alive than I do on the average day, and it coincided with my inexplicable weight loss. And also with sleeping well. And feeling well. And being proud of myself and my body.

So, that's what I'm going to do. I did a little research today, and Bikram Yoga Saanich has a 2-week unlimited pass for just $39. This Friday I am going to go to the 9:30 am class, buy the 2-week pass, and attend a class every day for the following two weeks.

Now, you might think that I am not at all reliable for this, and you'd be right. In fact, I am absolutely clear that I am not reliable for this. And, that's the point of posting here. So that you can follow up with me, or, better yet, join me!

Namasté - I'll see you on the mat!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I am very curious to know how the hot yoga is. I've only done the lukewarm type at the Y. :-)

    My own personal goal for myself at the moment is taking swimming lessons. I am going to start the next session (end of Oct.). I will keep you posted! Keep me posted about the hot yoga!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...