Thursday, February 18, 2010

TI♥T - whenever I'm in doubt, Winnie-the-Pooh is the answer

When I was turning 6 my mom bought me the most beautiful hardcover edition of The Collected Poems of A.A. Milne (which included the collections "When We Were Young" and "Now We Are Six") with colour illustrations. I still cherish it as one of my favourite books and prized possessions, and it sits alongside a similar hardcover illustrated Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh (which includes both the "Winnie-the-Pooh" story collection and "The House at Pooh Corner" collection) I bought to celebrate BB1's birth.

And then I started school, and quickly bounced into dear Mrs. Livingstone's Grade1-2 split class, where we were frequently rewarded with viewings of the original Winnie-the-Pooh films, from the original stories, before the voices went weird, and the characters were Disneyfied, and the stories became little more than pedantic moralising. I love those old films, with the turning pages and the consoling narrator. And my books. And their lessons of love and friendship and acceptance and bravery.

So this week I've returned to the house at Pooh corner, to visit some old friends, and re-learn for the first time some old lessons:

♥ When late morning rolls around and you're feeling a bit out of sorts, don't worry; you're probably just a little eleven o'clockish.

♥ Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.

♥ Some people care too much, I think it's called love

♥ You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.

♥ Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.

♥ Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.

But most of all, and always,

♥ If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart ... I’ll always be with you.

A girl who has a tendency to over-think things can learn much from a bear of very little brain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...