Monday, November 11, 2013

the weight of water: a review

This book was as beautifully written as it was horrifying. Having had nightmares in the week following reading it that directly related to the story's content, I almost wish I hadn't read it. Except, as I said, it was beautifully written. Silver lights. Green waters. Still moments. And then, vivid horror and, even worse, creeping insidious betrayal. 

I am partial to stories of the sea. I am less partial to stories that move back and forth in time between two parallel yet distinct sets of characters - it sometimes works, but in this case felt contrived. I am less partial still to characters whose cruelest actions remain unrepented. There is darkness here that seemed out of place. I don't need a book full of Pollyanna's (in fact, lord save us from saccharine), but if there is to be evil, let it be ... understandable. 

I try not to read too much about books before I read them as I like to experience them with fresh eyes. And, I am trying to broaden my reading horizons as a writing exercise (not that I've written much lately) - I think each author has something to teach me. 

Still and all, I wish I hadn't read this. It's not a condemnation of the writing - it just didn't suit my 'delicate sensibilities.' Life isn't all Jane Austen, but it's not all Stieg Larsson either. 

Amazon Associate link.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...